Towards the end of Me Made May I felt I needed more casual tops in my wardrobe. I found a pattern on Lekala that had mini raglan sleeves which would be quicker than setting in sleeves, and a bit more versatile than sleeveless.
I made it first up in a fine jersey from Lucky Fashions at only £3 per metre. I never realised before I came to cut it out that I wouldn’t fit both pieces across the width of the fabric. As the front piece incorporates the sleeves and the cowl it was much wide than I anticipated. Luckily I’d bought a generously cut 1.5 metres. Wonder if thats why they call it lucky fashions!!?
The fine jersey was a bit of a nightmare to sew. It was ok through my machine but the overlocker really didn’t like it. It was only intended to be a muslin so I wasn’t too bothered. I left the arms and bottom unhemmed and bodged the neckline. It’s wearable but not sure what it’ll look like after a few washes.
It looks better ironed! This was a quick pic taken yesterday by H whilst he was still in bed! I’ve also got to remember to breathe in, or wear a slinky vest underneath to prevent it being figure hugging!
I was happy with the fit so confidently cut into some fabric which I’ve had in my stash for some time. I bought it from John Lewis last February when we were up in Edinburgh. The stripes are supposed to be horizontal, but due to the width of the front piece the 2 pieces wouldn’t fit. The fabric is 4 way stretch so I turned the stripes vertically and managed to fit the pieces on.
The fabric has more body than the fine jersey but still has a lovely drape. I’m really happy with the finished garment and I know I’ll wear it loads through the summer. It reminds my of a candy shop!
On both versions I omitted the bottom band as the top was plenty long enough without.
On my walk this morning I stopped off at my parents and Dad (who is now the new trainee blog manager) took some pix in his garden.
I took a lot more care in finishing my seams and hems:
I took a lot of photos of each step on finishing the neckline and am planning to write up a tutorial in the next few days. The lekala instructions are notorious for being rather vague and only called for the neckline to be turned and stitched. This looks a bit messy for this top (I know – I did it with the grey one), and it doesn’t take much more time to get a nice finish to it and make it look more professional. I even used a twin needle for the bottom hem for the first time (successfully!).
A LATE ADDIDTION TO THIS POST!!
Another 4119 made in October ’15 but doesn’t really warrant a post all to itself! I only had a small remnant of this black and white fabric so the back is plain black and the lower band matches the front.