Back in the summer, (which seems like a distant memory now) I bought the British Sewing Bee book which was on offer at my local supermarket. I’d not seen the series on TV but had heard lots about it. I thought I’d give the tunic a try first. It can be made in three different lengths, roughly waist, hip and knee length.
I’d bought some cotton floral fabric whilst on holiday in Scarborough and tho it wasn’t in the suggested fabric I thought it would be ok.
Originally I made it knee length but it hung like a sack and wasn’t very flattering. So I chopped the bottom off and made a long strip of ruffling (not sure what else to call it!) and added it to the bottom.
When I tried it on my hubby said it reminded him of an old fashioned swimming costume!! Undeterred I pressed the ruffle flat, so it didn’t stick out so much and was happy with the result.
I also changed the zip insertion. I used a normal zip showing it on the outside, which is supposed to be ‘on trend’.
It was quite simple to make, tho a little bit fiddly inserting the facing. I’ve worn it loads, with white shorts in the summer, and I will definitely be making more in the future. I think next time I’ll take a bit more notice of the fabric suggestions.
Here I am wearing it at my son’s cricket match. It’s a bit creased as I’d been sat down quite a while.
I’ve just remembered, I also lowered the neckline at the back, only by about an inch. Here it is freshly pressed…….!
If you’ve not read the book it has some great sewing tips in and patterns with simple instructions. If comes with one free printed pattern but the other an be downloaded from the Internet. Here’s the info page for the tunic. It’s very well laid out and tells you everything you need to know before starting your new project.