For May’s challenge at The Monthly Stitch I’ve made a top and also refashioned one of my favourite T Shirts.
Whilst flicking through the Great British Sewing Bee’s book from the 2nd series I decided to make the simple T Shirt. It calls for a floaty fabric, not a ponte knit as I chose!
I only had 60cm of the stripey ponte knit so had to be a little creative and decided to adapt the pattern so it had raglan sleeves. I also lengthened it by 3 inches for adequate tummy coverage.
As you can see from my pattern I’ve cut out a size 18. This is the biggest size, here’s the size chart from the book:
It all went together fairly straight forward. I stitched sleaves to the back and front, pressed the seam downwards top stitched. I now think I should have maybe pressed the seam upwards and had the top stitching (or is it edge stitching?!?!) on the sleeve, not on the main body of the top. I then stitched the side seams.
For the neck line I folded a strip of the fabric and stitched it to the outside, turned it in, pressed and top stitched.
For the hem I follow the instructions from when I made By Hands Pollly Top which makes it really easy to sew hem which isn’t straight.
Lastly, I stretched my time to fit in a little refashion. Not something I’ve done much of in the past, but as I’ve signed up for the RTW Fast and am 5/12’s of the way through I need to keep battling on. It’s the time factor juggling my sewing time between things I ‘need’ and things I ‘really need’.
Here’s an old favourite, my Levi’s T Shirt. It had a band around the arm which were a little tight on my biceps. Not bingo wings here!! Thinks it’s all the lifting at work I do. If only my abs were as toned!
As you can see the fabric is reversible – the inside is a lovely small flowery print.
I chopped it in the middle, turned it around, chopped off the arm cuffs, turned over and tacked in place.
Good luck ladies with June’s challenge!