Hi! Hope you’ve all had a lovely Valentine’s weekend. I finished my frock on Friday, except for a little hand stitching, so that left Saturday for chilling. Today has been a quiet day too, mostly because I’ve been nursing a hangover!
I really enjoyed making this. Probably due to making a muslin and knowing it would fit! For the lining I chose something a bit fancy from my stash. I originally purchased this to line my Godzilla jacket but ended up using a zebra print for that instead.
The lining was a nightmare to cut out, really slippery. Maybe if I’d have used a rotary cutter it would have been easier. It was worth it in the end though.
I intended to add 2 inches to the length of the dress but then forgot when I was cutting out. In the photos of my muslin here in Part 2 the length is just right, but that was before hemming. So I didn’t loose much length from the dress I decided to use some bias binding. I didn’t have anything suitable and the thought of making bias binding from the lining fabric made me come out in a cold sweat, so I had a trip to Boyes in Brighouse and bought some satin bias binding. It had to be red too, cos it’s a Valentine’s Dress!
I really really really love this dress. I’ve only made 1 lined dress before, the Vogue 1353, but I don’t wear that anymore cos it makes me feel frumpy. But this one is so comfy and slinky with the lining I feel fabulous wearing it, and the cotton sateen is so soft, it hangs lovely. Here’s a link for the fabric if you’re interested, it would make a fab A-line skirt if you didn’t fancy it as a frock.
A bit more about the construction….
The dress calls for lots of top stitching, and not just one row either, twin rows. I really thought this would spoil the look of the dress, so instead I under stitched as much as I could. The top picture is the outside of the front, and the bottom one is the inside. I think next time I would add some sort of interfacing to made the edges a bit firmer and more structure, especially the straps.
I managed to stitch most of the lining with the machine. For the back I tucked it under the bias trim. I was a bit worried the bias trim might peak out due to no topstitching but it behaved.
For the front of the lining I stitched it to the seam allowance of the seam under the bust. This just left a bit of hand stitching at he sides.
Onto pattern matching
I wasn’t sure where to start with this, but after much deliberation I decided to put the large flower on the centre of the front and the back. The centre back seam made this a bit tricky as it didn’t run parallel with the grainline. It’s narrows at the top. I matched the pattern at the top, but on reflection I think I should have matched the skirt part of the dress. What do you think??
We had a great night. Lots of wine, and dancing! Here’s another pic before we went out….My legs look a funny colour in this picture. I was wearing some skin coloured fish-nets which look better on your toes than normal stockings/tights.
I’m planning on making a couple more of these, unlined cotton ones for the summer. Here’s a link for the pattern if you want to take a peak…….
The instructions called for button holes and buttons. I skipped the button holes and stitched the buttons directly where needed, it’s not like I was going to be unbuttoning them to get the dress on and off!
The buttons came from my stash. I acquired quite a collection from my mum in law last year. It took a lot of time to sort out, but so worth it. I had 3 of these little beauties, just enough!
Lovely dress and you look fab in it – which is why you had such a great night out!
Thanks Fiona, I did feel fab, but I think the wine helped too!
Very nice! You look like your ready for dining and dancing!
I was definitely ready, I love a good boogie! I danced my 2 puddings off for sure!
Your dress is beautiful. Sounds like you had a great time celebrating.
Thanks! Yea, we had a great night. my feet were aching this morning after all the dancing! 😀
Great job! Love that peek of red lining.
Thanks! Thought I needed some red somewhere for Valentine day, just hope it doesn’t run in the wash! 😀
Oh, yes didn’t think of that! Maybe a hand wash first time through to be on the safe side…
Oh, those buttons! The details can really add something special to an outfit, can’t they?
I was a bit unsure at first as it looked ok without, but I’m really glad I added them 😀
Lovely work and the dress fits you perfectly! The buttons are super cute too!
Thankyou! It’s the little things that make our clothes special I think 😀
Stunning, gawjus dress – congratulations!!!
Those buttons are so perfect, as is that hidden red!
Now, about those pickles… lol!
Haha.. Thanks Del, I love wearing it, need more ‘do’s to go to 😀
Super nice dress! And the hint of red is just perfect…
Thanks! I think I’ll be making quite a few of these this year! I’m even thinking of making one in a lightweight fabric to use as a nightie 😃
Looks gorgeous! I love the red bias binding as an additional extra!
Thanks Amanda! Sorry I’m a bit late replying xx
Pingback: Sunday Sevens #27 (me #2) | T H I M B E R L I N A
Pingback: Lekala 5963 with a touch of Liberty | T H I M B E R L I N A