This week I’ve muslinned (? a proper word?) the Holly Jumpsuit twice. And I went shopping for fabric (and bought 2 extra pieces)! Then I needed a quick fix before I dived into my Jolly Hump Suit, mmm…, or should it be Holly Jump Suit?! (i’m laughing here, that was initially a typo but it’s stopping! lol….still lolling……! (I’m Jumping Into June in case you didn’t know! If you want to read more about it and see who else taking part head over to Chris’s blog here…….)
Anyway, moving swiftly on. Whilst looking for something else I found this pattern which came free with the Love Sewing Mag (I think!!)
Without delving in my stash I knew I had the perfect fabric for the top – B. The fabric I’d just bought to make my Holly Jumpsuit! I did buy an extra 1/2 metre so it’d be ok. It was really quick to make, except I used bias binding nearly everywhere. It was ready to go out and meet the girls at 3pm for a late lunch date. Here it is with me Morris blazer. I’m really loving my Morris!
I like to use bias binding to finish my edges and hems. I didn’t want to use the actual fabric and then not have enough to make my jumpsuit. I found this orange and gold in my stash bought for 25p metre on the Spoolettes trip to Dewsbury.
It wasn’t the neatest application of bias trim I’ve ever performed but it’s all on the inside and it’s passable.
I didn’t want to add any extra weight to the arms so just overlocked the raw edge, turned and stitched.
There’s not much to read about this pattern online, so I didn’t find out until it was too late that the neck opening is too wide and shows my bra straps, and the opening at the back is totally not needed. I reduced the neck be an inch either side on the next one and still can get it on easily, and stitched up the full length of the back seam. And I wore a strapless bra so it didn’t drive me mad.
For the next one and any future ones I will cut the piece on the fold and eliminated the centre back seam, and reduce the neck opening by 2 inches.
The next one is an unknown chiffon fabric. Really soft so probably polyester! But it creases, so it might not be! It presses like a dream but frays like mad. The making of the bias trim was a particular challenge!
This panel was £7 and was only just big enough width ways to fit on both the front and back pieces. I arranged the pattern pieces right to the top making use of the plain area, so I’d have enough of the busier floral for bias binding.
I managed to cut enough strips to make 5 metres of bias trim,
My new Janome made light work of stitching this fabric. I changed to a fine sharp needle and used my straight stitch plate (1st time) to prevent the fine fabric being pulled down into the machine.
It took forever to add the binding. I did the bottom hem first as a sort of practice where it would be less noticeable. My binding was single folded and I applied it like a mini facing.
I did the same for the neck like but had the bias showing on the outside. I sewed at the slowest pace ever and really took my time. But true to form I didn’t use a pin once and I didn’t press anything until it was all applied (except the bias which I’d pressed already). I use a combination of Janet Prays tips and Sewing on the Edge – both from Craftsy.
I finished it yesterday, but it was too chilly to wear. Todays a bit brighter and I’m taking my lovely mum out to lunch so will be wearing it. Rory & I had a little photoshoot on the patio this morning. (the scruffy looking door is the garage door not the one to the house!)
Quick wardrobe change…..see how the neck opening is way too wide…
Both these tops are going to be really useful and I’m going to have a rummage in my stash to see if i’ve anything to make a couple more. Last summer I wore my Sorbetto’s quite a lot, but they’re no good unless is a warm sunny day. Hopefully these will fill a little gap in my wardrobe.
This post is also part of Helena from Gray All Day’s Sew It Chick in a week link party!