I need more pants! No not knickers, I mean trousers! Cropped ones for summer. I’m living in my jeans and when we have the occasional warm day I’m stuck at just what to wear. So I decided to make the Capri Pants which are in this years series of the GBSB book.
The pattern looked straight forward. Side invisible zip and facings instead of a waistband.
I chose a denim with some lycra content. Not sure how much, but they had a definite stretch rather than had ‘give’. I sewed them up without the darts (i marked them but waited to add them) and basted the left side seam – but sewed all the others with a normal stitch length and overlocked all the edges.. I also stay stitched the waist band.
I tried them on and apart from taking in the centre front seam I thought they’d be ok.
After adding the darts I then found I could get them on without needing a zip. (sorry no photo)
As I was keen to wear them I opted for an elasticated waist. Here’s how I did it.
I chose a thick elastic (one bought ages ago to make Comox trunks – not done!) sewing the 2 ends together 4 inches less than my waist measurement. No maths here, just a guess and it worked.
I pinned it at the 4 seams and stretched it as I sewed. I used the overlocker and kept it just away from the blade. It was sewn to the right side of the pants.
It looked a bit messy – the stay stitches were showing.
So I created a small fold just enough to cover the stay stitching and stitched with a narrow zig-zag. No pinning, just bent the fabric as I sewed.
This gave a really neat finish.
Wayhay – they were finished! I just overlocked the hem and turned them twice. I wasn’t sure how long I wanted them, but as it happens I like them just turned so will be leaving them like that.
I wore them for cricket the next day and asked one of my pals to take some photos. This was at the end of the game so they are a bit wrinkled as I’d been sat most of the day.
Initially we tried to be discreet for the photoshoot, but we ended up making fools of ourselves because we couldn’t stop laughing. Oh, and remember the lovely floral top I made? Doesn’t it just go with my new pants!!
I’d try to lighten the pics up a bit to show off the denim and the style better.
Think it might be a bit windy!!
“honey I shrunk the kids” comes to mind with the next photo!
Trying to show you the fancy red stitches from my overlocker. Totally unintentional – I’d not changed the thread since making my pink stripy top. Like it though!
The elasticated waist works really well, but they slipped down a bit. Sarah, my new blog managed, was wearing jeggings. They have proper belt loops and she wears a belt otherwise hers fall down too. So I’m hoping to add them soon, and maybe some back pockets too.
I’ve just ordered some raspberry and some beige stretch denim online so will have a couple more pairs of these soon for the summer (what summer!!).
I think the elasticated version worked ok form me as I’m 1 to 2 sizes smaller on the hips than the waist so there’s not a huge difference. If I was blessed with a tiny waist I don’t think it would work. I don’t think it would work either for a woven fabric with no lycra content.
They’re really comfy, and don’t look at all home made. They’re a looser fit than I thought they would be. Maybe that’s because I’ve used a stretch woven.
So that’s all for now folks. Just to add this was the most fun photo shoots ever, as you can probably see from the laughing faces above. Here’s another to finish off with! I’m seeing Sarah again on Monday, wonder if I’ve anything unblogged that I could wear for another photoshoot!