Back in June I printed off one of the latest patterns (then it was!) by Seamwork – The Aurora Tank.
I was inspired by Helena from GrayAllDay patterns to make one. She made one every day for a week and came up with some fab colour combos, and she also discovered that the yoke could be make in a woven as well as a jersey.
I traced the pattern off back then, but it wasn’t until a couple of days before our trip to Taunton in July that I got round to whipping one up. Not sure if it took me 2 hours – I did cut some corners.
I used a remnant of a jersey from my stash, and for the yoke I had some of the stretch denim from my recently made capri pants.
I thought the denim would be too thick for the inside of the yoke so i was going to use an old black viscose top.
After I’d cut it out I got lazy and decided the yoke didn’t need an inside as I was going to finish the seams different to the instructions.
After sewing it all together I decided I like the contrasting stay stitching on the denim:
So I had a play around with fancy stitches on some scrap fabric, unpicked the stay stitching and did this:
Cool don’t ya think! A few of my buddies thought I’d hand stitched it! For the jersey part I just left the stay stitching in place to stop it stretching out, and left the bottom unhemmed. How lazy am I!!
I found the armscye a touch high, even if they had a proper hem I still think they’d be too high:
I just chopped some fabric away and redid the stay stitching. I did smooth out the cutting!
I’m not loosing sleep over the unfinishedness of this make – I think it makes it more like a lot of the RTW stuff out there that I want to finish off!
It matches my capris and I’ve worn it quite a few times already.
H took some shots for me, he’s becoming more willing:
And the back:
Then when we were in Taunton one evening we walked along the canal into town and had the perfect photo shoot opportunity:
Could have done with my shades on!
And no I wasn’t about to jump in!
There goes another quick little number!
My next make dragged on a while – it’s taken me about 3 weeks on and off to make my Emily Culottes. Yes! You heard right! I’ve made culottes! Just need some pix and they’ll be with you shortly!
I finished them today and the jury’s still out on them – hubby and mum like then but I’m still not sure. Can’t wait to show you and find out what your verdict is!