It’s almost 2 years since I made my first peg bag, and since then I’ve made quite a few. Each one I’ve wanted to keep, but instead each was lovingly wrapped and gifted to some lucky friend or family member.
For this next one I wanted to use one of H’s Yorkshire cricket shirts as it was for the husband and wife team who’ve looked after the under 13Bs this season.
Here’s how you can upcycle a favourite sports or polo shirt that is no longer worn, but has too much sentimental value to give to the charity shops.
Firstly you need to find some suitable hangers. The ones I used are from Wilkinsons and come in a pack of 6 I think (it’s been a whilst since I bought them).
The angle of the hanger won’t be the same angle as the shoulders of the top you’ll be using, so you need to do a C.H.A. Bet you’ve not come across that one before!!?? It’s a coat hanger adjustment, lol! Tickled me anyway!
Turn the T shirt inside out, place the hanger centrally at the top and mark the new shoulder seam – I used a biro. Continue drawing the shape of the sides and bottom of the peg bag. I just eyeballed it – no special formula.
Pin the fronts and backs together to keep them aligned.
Sitich all the way round using a long basting stitch.
Turn it the right way round, insert hanger.
Everything looks ok, and I could reach in easily for the pretend pegs that weren’t in yet. Turn it back inside out and trim off the excess fabric:
I then reinforced all the seams with a lightening stitch, and stitched 4 rows at the bottom to make sure it was going to be super strong!
I gave it to Mrs Team Manager at the last match of the season and she loved it! So did the other mums and nans! I think I’ll be making a few more of these as the lads grow out of their shirts!
Here’s a quick look at the others I’ve made. I’d previously trawled the internet for ideas and stumbled across Carla’s blog – Granny Mauds Girls who has a fab tutorial. I used her pattern and lettering on a few on them.
This one was for Bertha – my parents Caravan so needed a zip so the pegs didn’t fall out.
The was for my brother! An up cycled denim shirt complete with pearl snappers!
And this one was for my Auntie Kath who I made an apron too to match!
Now all I have to do is make one just for me as my pegs are just left on the washing line (shock horror I know!). Think I might dabble with a bit of lace on mine and test out the new technique I’ve learnt!