In January I took park in a Giveaway on Instagram hosted by Skinny Bitch Curvy Chick to win their latest pattern – The Brooklyn Hoodie.
I’m a big fan of their patterns so was over the moon when I discovered I’d won. It did take a few days for me to notice the PM in Instagram as I’d never had one before!
Their patterns are drafted for petites. At 5’4″ I always feels I’m somewhere in between – not quite a petite but not tall either.
Previously I’m made their Lemoncello Cardigan (unblogged for some crazy unknown reason) so here it is at a Presentation Night when I was Lady Captain (the second time!):
I’ve also made the Manhattan Pants and the Cabernet Cardigan. Oh, and I’ve made a few of their free tonic t shirts too! All the other patterns I’ve bought (except the free one of course!!). The paper patterns come printed on proper paper in a plastic A4 folder which is really neat.
As soon as I won the hoodie pattern I was on the look out for fabric. I have some grey in my stash but wanted something a bit more special.
I stumbled across this when I was out and about in Dewsbury sorting things out for the recent Spoolette meet up.
I must’ve been distracted as I never bought any at the time, but aptly named Lucky Fashions still had some in stock when I returned with the Spoolettes.
I cut out the fabric quite quickly after the meet – pre-washing it first at 40 degrees. After all a white hoodie was going to be having regular washes at that heat I should imagine!
It took me quite a while then to get round to making it up. Partly because I was undecided about which zip to use and whether or not to use a contrasting top stitching thread. It was this Hoodie on the Prolific Project Starter’s blog that got me going with the fancy top stitching!
I did a ridiculous amount of practicing and testing which stitch, colour and even got to grips with using a twin needle.
Eventually I decided that it was all going to be cream with no contrasting. As I’ve said before I’ve loads of clothes that don’t really go with each other, and I didn’t want this to be another casualty!
The fabric was a dream to sew and all the pieces went together really easily. Some of the seams were quite bulky, but trimming back the seam allowances meant top stitching wasn’t such an ordeal.
When preparing the pockets I basted the short edges before stitching them to the front. The intention was to remove these stitches but once finished they were hardly noticable.
I used loads of pins when attaching the pockets. Wonky pockets were not going to be an option!
This is the stitch I eventually chose for all my topstitching – everywhere – number 16 below. It was wide enough to cover most of the raw edge inside the hoodie, and the tiny bits it missed I was able to trim off.
A few more constructions pics:
All in all this was a really satisfying make. It’s gone along with my small plan in my head to make more wearable clothes and to try and stick to solid colours.
I finished it yesterday morning, just in time for a stroll around Harrogate in the afternoon. Hubby’s getting less embarrassed about taking photos in public, but as we were just in the town centre the back drops aren’t the best!
So that’s my first garment from the Spoolette’s recent trip. We’re all hoping to complete a garment within 4 weeks of the trip and I’ll be linking them all together.
Cheerio for now!