I think MeMadeMay spurs us all into action and opens our eyes to gaps in our wardrobe. Last week I was wondering what I could wear for golf, then I remembered a top the hubby had discarded and put aside for the charity bag.
It was kinda huge on me but I thought the collar the the zip opening didn’t look too big and once the sides were taken in it would still look in proportion.
I measured it and decided to take the side in for it to measure 40″. I measure 39″ so I thought with a little stretch in the fabric 1″ of ease would be enough. I’m still now sure now if i remembered to include a seam allowance as the finished garment is a bit snug (though I could get off my butt and go measure it and find out!).
The marks drawn on were with a frixion pen. I recently bought some felt tip style ones. I’d always recommend testing to make sure the heat from the iron removes all marks before you go ahead and draw all over your fabric!
Once I’d sewn up the side I tried it on and drew roughly where I thought the shoulders should finish. The curve where I’d already estimated where the armsyce should finish was way out. I needed to use the original one, and if anything could have done with the opening 1/2 inch higher, so just be careful if you’re doing something similar – don’t get too scissor happy!
Once I’d cut off the excess on one shoulder I used the piece I’d removed as a guide as to what to cut the other side.
The length was obviously too long, and the existing hem was stitched with a facing on the back piece. This was what I used to trim the arms. Unfortunately I removed the excess length after I’d reduced the side seams which meant my width at the bottom was about 4 inches shorter than it could have been. So next time I’ll remove any excess width before I reduce the sides.
I cut strips of fabric for the binding 1 1/4 inches wide, single folded them, stitched with a regular stitch to the right side of the fabric, turned and coverstitched in place. I didn’t have a matching thread for the pinky colour so used a contrasting thread the same as the cream.
I only had enough of the cream colour trim to use for the front of the top so joined a piece of the pink to make it long enough to go all the way around.
Loving my coverstitch……
A bit wonky with the hem, and I’ve not gotten around to trimming off the excess fabric with my duck billed scissors. But it’s tucked in so no one knows but me!
And here it is…….
Luckily it was a warm day and I was able to wear a skort that was a really similar colour to the cream trim. (excuse the wonky boobs!!)
I shortened the skort a couple of inches, I’m getting a bit brave now I’ve got a tan!!
And a couple of action shots!
All the ladies were loving my top! I can’t wait for the sun to shine so I can wear it again.
So what now…. I think I’ll have to have a rummage in my hubby’s wardrobe and see what other golf tops he doesn’t want! This one was actually destined for the charity bag when he was a stone heavier as it showed off his Moobs, but now I bet it would look ok, well it would if I hadn’t chopped it up!