Back in February I joined Slimming World. I’d lost about 10 pounds on my own, well not entirely on my own, I’d been hitting the gym classes with my bestie but I needed a bigger push to shed another 20 pounds.
One of the things that spurred me on to loose the weight was the Mc Calls pattern 7577.
As soon as I saw this cute little playsuit I really wanted to make it for my June holiday. So as the inches melted away I rummaged in my stash and found the perfect fabric for View A but without the sleeves. I bought this crepe from Leeds Market last November in the first SewUpNorth meet up.
Shockingly (for me) I didn’t trace the pattern and I didn’t make a muslin!
My thoughts on tracing have changed slightly. Before I used to trace absolutely everything as I was hoping to be a smaller size in the future, now i’m tending to cut straight into the patterns as I’m adamant I’m staying the size I am now!
I’d read a few reviews for this pattern and the general opinion was that the sizing ran a little big. So I cut a size 14 even though I measured a 16 at the bust and a 12 at the hips. I also lengthened the bodice by 4cm. I’m not particularly tall (5’4″) but most tops and dresses I’ve made have always needed the body lengthening.
I never thought how it would effect the cross over on the front – it did gape slightly – but being daring on holiday (i.e. braless and tanned) I wasn’t bothered but back home I think a safety pin would be in order. But to be honest, I’m not sure when I would wear this at home – it’s definitely more for the holiday wardrobe.
I didn’t have any suitable lace in my stash for the contrasting panel in the back bodice, but I did have a lace top that I was prepared to loose as the cream colour was a perfect match for the fabric.
The cutting out of the whole playsuit took bloody ages!! I actually lost track of just how long!
I fussy cut every single piece, after all I didn’t want any tits in any unfortunate places!
As each piece was cut I placed them together and tried to balance the pattern.
It felt a bit like doing a jigsaw!
Eventually I had all the pieces cut out for the front…… (note I purposely wanted nothing sprouting out of the front seam in the shorts!)
And the back……..
The whole pattern went together easily. One of the things I did that wasn’t mentioned in the instructions was to topstitch the seam of the upper and lower back bodice.
As you can see above it just didn’t lay as flat as I would have like, even after pressing, but once top stitched close to the edge it was much neater.
A facing was applied to the front and neck opening. I thought it was going to be too bulky so trimmed as much as possible away, turned them top stitched in place.
The worst bit of the construction was gathering up the lower parts of the legs. If I had a sewing nemesis it would be gathers. Come to think if it, I do have a sewing nemesis. It’s gathers! So this was a nightmare and seemed to take forever.
But it was all worth it!! Here’s it finished all ready for my hols. A week to spare and at my slimming world target weight!
And here’s on the first night of our holiday at the end of June.
Though I love this version of the pattern I don’t think I’ll make it again. The ruffles stuck out and I did press the gathers to try and stop the legs looking too puffy.
I think I’ll make a straight legged version, maybe the long legged version, especially as I still have athe back of the lace top to use as the contrasting back panel.