All posts filed under: The Monthly Stitch

TMS – Pants Challenge

Phew! Talk about Cutting it fine.  February’s challenge for The Monthly Stitch is to make pants. Or trousers, or slacks depending whereabouts in the world you might be. So here’s my moleskin Manhattan Skinny Bitch Curvy Chick trousers. I bought the PDF version of the pattern for $12 (about £7) as I didn’t want to wait for it to be shipped from the USA. This pattern company designs patterns for petites – I’m 5’4″ so not too small but not tall either. Neither am I a skinny bitch or a curvy chick, but hey ho, I loved the free Tonic T pattern that I made here, and here for my mum in law, so thought I’d given the Manhattan pants a whirl. Sticking together the PDF pattern pieces wasn’t the easiest of tasks. Not sure if it was my printer but I lost some of the lines near the edge of the paper and had to draw them in where I thought they might go….. Once I started sewing they were a dream to put together. The instructions …

My first ever welt pocket!

I joined the Monthly Stitch a couple of months ago and this months challenge is a ‘New Year -New Skill’.  I’d decided to challenge myself to learn how to make welt pockets. After much googling and reading countless tutorials I found one over at Oliver and S that seamed easy to follow with clear photos. It took 3 hours but I’m so pleased with the result and would be confident enough to go straight ahead and add one to a garment. Now, I’m really not sure what to do with 13″x10″ inch piece of fabric with the most gorgeous welt pocket on. Maybe I’ll just frame it! Edited with BlogPad Pro …..the next day….. Just one last one, honest! This shows the inside, I woke and swooned over it again!!

Christmas Party – 80s Style!

I’ve just been to my SECOND Christmas party! This was a fancy dress party – 80s theme! Time to get sewing!!  For my ‘outfit’ (I’m on the right)  SKIRT I had an old skirt with a broken zip. I read on ForeverFierce how to bleach denim and thought I’d try and revamp this sad skirt that I’d never wear again….. I laid it out in the bath and squirted neat bleach on it, and left it about 20 minutes.  It turned a mucky yellow colour……. Then I washed it on a quick 40 degree wash. I chopped the peplum off the bottom and using my ruffling foot made a ra-ra inspired trim which I stitched behind the lower edge.  For the white cropped top, dare I say it, think I should whisper, I used my Sobertto pattern, without the pleat at the centre front.  For the blue top I used McCalls 6648 which I’ve previously used to made 2 dresse and a grey top. It’s a really versatile pattern and easily adapted. Previously blogged about here. …

Christmas Party Dress

I’ve been thinking long and hard about what to make for my works Christmas do, and also something for The Monthly Stitch Challenge – “Party!!”.   I didn’t want to buy a pattern or any material as my stash should be is vast enough to find something. Eventually I decided on Newlook 6648 which is a top that I previously made as a frock:    here’s where I blogged about it. The pattern calls for jersey fabric, but I wanted to make it in a shiny polyester so decided to cut it on the bias so it would have some stretch widthways. Easier said than done!! It took me ages to fold the material eventually I went with the pattern and kept everything crossed. It was really easier, and the bias gave enough ease to get it over my head. When I’d sewn up the side seams it was way to big, hung like a sack with no shape. I took the seams in about an inch from just above the waist all the way down …

Cook’s Apron from The Great British Sewing Bee

Time was running out for me in The Monthly Stitch’s Challenge – ‘something from a book”.  As I only own 1 sewing book I wasn’t exactly spoilt for choice.   This month has been really busy.  I’ve made a big start on making my Christmas gifts, and also I’ve had 3 birthdays and an anniversary which I’ve made pressies for too. Before I knew it, there were only 2 days left in November for me to make something for the Monthly Stitch, so it had to be something simple.  I chose the cook’s apron as it would be a nice pressie to go with the peg bag I’ve already made for my Auntie Kath. Here it is:   When I made the apron I didn’t have any graph paper, so armed with a pencil, French curve and tape measure I marked out the outline directly onto the back of the fabric. I worked out the measurements and wrote them into the book.    I decided to make 1 or 2 changes to the pattern: I …