Time was running out for me in The Monthly Stitch’s Challenge – ‘something from a book”. As I only own 1 sewing book I wasn’t exactly spoilt for choice.
This month has been really busy. I’ve made a big start on making my Christmas gifts, and also I’ve had 3 birthdays and an anniversary which I’ve made pressies for too. Before I knew it, there were only 2 days left in November for me to make something for the Monthly Stitch, so it had to be something simple.
I chose the cook’s apron as it would be a nice pressie to go with the peg bag I’ve already made for my Auntie Kath. Here it is:
When I made the apron I didn’t have any graph paper, so armed with a pencil, French curve and tape measure I marked out the outline directly onto the back of the fabric. I worked out the measurements and wrote them into the book.
I decided to make 1 or 2 changes to the pattern:
- I didn’t use a contrasting fabric as I didn’t have anything suitable. So for the front I used the pattern piece for the back.
- I didn’t follow their instructions for the pleated trim on the bottom. Instead I used my ruffling foot.
- Instead of slip stitching the top part lining in place at the back I stitched in the ditch from the front.
- I made all the lengths needed 3 inches wide when I cut them out, ie the ties and the trim. I did this as I used the ruler on my French curve to measure and it was easier.
As per usual with all the gifts I make, I want to keep it!! It’s very pretty and girlie. My hubby thought it was a dress when he saw Gertrude modelling it.
Here’s something I prepared earlier…..
I made this in the summer and previously blogged about it here. This is the free pattern which comes with The a Great British Sewing Bee book.
Here’s a sneaky preview of a bag I’m knitting for one of my nieces for Christmas.
I have all the bits made, it just needs sewing together….