All posts tagged: easy pattern

Ikea Throw Transformation

Last Saturday was Day 3 of me being a non-smoker. So to take my mind off things I thought I’d sew the current challenge for Stitch Once Rip Twice, organised by Diane over at Vintage Zest.   The challenge is ‘A Simple Top’ so I decided to make SergerPepper’s new pattern which I’d recently downloaded from Craftsy. On a recent shopping trip to ikea I bought a lovely red super soft throw with the intention of turning it into something wearable. Here it is on their website:  The 2 ends of the blankets were hemmed which I thought I’d used for the bottom, but once I came to positioning the pattern piece I thought the hem would be too bulky so used the selvidge which had a nice neat finish. The fabric wasn’t quite big enough for me to use the selvidge as a hem so I lost 2 inches from the back and front pieces (both the same) placing the centre of the top 1 inch past the centre fold.  It’s a loose fitting top and I …

Christmas Party Dress

I’ve been thinking long and hard about what to make for my works Christmas do, and also something for The Monthly Stitch Challenge – “Party!!”.   I didn’t want to buy a pattern or any material as my stash should be is vast enough to find something. Eventually I decided on Newlook 6648 which is a top that I previously made as a frock:    here’s where I blogged about it. The pattern calls for jersey fabric, but I wanted to make it in a shiny polyester so decided to cut it on the bias so it would have some stretch widthways. Easier said than done!! It took me ages to fold the material eventually I went with the pattern and kept everything crossed. It was really easier, and the bias gave enough ease to get it over my head. When I’d sewn up the side seams it was way to big, hung like a sack with no shape. I took the seams in about an inch from just above the waist all the way down …

Cook’s Apron from The Great British Sewing Bee

Time was running out for me in The Monthly Stitch’s Challenge – ‘something from a book”.  As I only own 1 sewing book I wasn’t exactly spoilt for choice.   This month has been really busy.  I’ve made a big start on making my Christmas gifts, and also I’ve had 3 birthdays and an anniversary which I’ve made pressies for too. Before I knew it, there were only 2 days left in November for me to make something for the Monthly Stitch, so it had to be something simple.  I chose the cook’s apron as it would be a nice pressie to go with the peg bag I’ve already made for my Auntie Kath. Here it is:   When I made the apron I didn’t have any graph paper, so armed with a pencil, French curve and tape measure I marked out the outline directly onto the back of the fabric. I worked out the measurements and wrote them into the book.    I decided to make 1 or 2 changes to the pattern: I …