For TMS’s first weekly challenge of #IMP15 I decided to make The Geogia Dress from BHL. It called for a fabric with a little stretch to help with the close fit. As I’m trying to sew more quality than quantity I knew I needed to make a muslin.
I traced the size 14 (U.S. Size – I like being 2 sizes smaller so sticking with it!!), then rummaged in my stash. I couldn’t find anything suitable, so delved into my ‘clothes to be refashioned’ box. I found a pair of my hubbies old jeans, and then after further searching in another box I found a gorgeous piece of Egyptian cotton. The latter had been chopped off my mum in laws duvet cover when she wanted it making smaller. Neither had any stretch but it would give me an idea of the fit and also enable me to check out the construction.
The dress went together really well. I didn’t take any pix when making it up as I only ‘threw’ it together to get the fit right. I was more than shocked when I tried it on – not only did it fit, but it actually looked ‘ok’, apart from being ridiculously short – I’d not added the bottom panel at this point.
Once I realised I might actually wear this out in public I added the trim down the front and sewed some extra fabric on the bottom to make it a wearable length. I also edge stitched around the bodice and straps to give some stability to the edges.
I’m so pleased with the nearly finished result. I say nearly as it’s innards need tidying up, and I think it would benefit from some boning to help hold the bodice up. The straps push the bodice to my body but the bodice offers no support or has any structure on it’s own.
Although I love it and it’s totally wearable, for my next I’m considering making a slight FBA if I use a none stretch fabric. I love that it’s not fitted on the hips and gives an A line shape. Usually I prefer things fitted on my hip as it’s about the only part of my that slim! But I’ve found the A line makes me appear a better shape, if that makes sense. I just love optical illusions!