I don’t always take part in a lot of challenges, but there’s a few that’s caught my attention in 2017.
The January ‘Keep It Cosy” #dressmakingbloggerchallenge is the first one I’ve managed to complete!
I’ve had 1.5m of this ridiculously thick sweater knit for about 2 years.
I bought if from Fabworks for £10 a metre with no project in mind. the squishiness just drew me in and I just had to buy it! I has a thick slightly felted feel so it, and has 4 way ‘give’ rather than a proper stretch stretch.
I wasn’t sure if it had been pre washed so I did the sniff test. It smelt ok so I’m thinking I must have done. I’ll wash it cold when it’s made up just in case it hasn’t been washed.
It’s been in and out of the stash box for ages, and when i saw the challenge was to make something to keep you warm I knew it was coming out for good this time!
The pattern choice was a no brainer for me. I loved the grown on/dropped sleeve style of the Molly Top and have worn my first 2 loads.
The problem with it though is it’s quite fabric hungry due to the grown on sleeves. I didn’t realise that this sweater knit had a huge pattern repeat so I wouldn’t be able to make the front and back match.
So in moment of madness I had a brain wave to cut it on the bias (down a sweater knit actually have a bias!!??)
Ta-Dah!! The front cut out!
Definitely the right decision – I love it!!
I was able to match up one wide seam but not both – I put the from piece onto the fabric the wrong way round to decide how to cut the back piece.
It knitted up in no time! Well, it didn’t really, it sewed up, but it looks like something I knitted doesn’t it? Well, not something I’d have knitted, as it just wouldn’t be this good!!
Now excuse the slightly blurry photos. We’ve had the most horrendous gales ever. A tree has even blown onto someone’s roof in our village! So photos taken inside, and although H is getting better at being friendly at the other side of the camera and not making me scowl, he needs to learn a steady hand!
Don’t think this is my best angle, but it shows off the stripes so I thought I’d show you anyway!
Do you like the arms? I did one straight up and down and the other crossways.
This is going to be one cosy jumper! I’m just gutted I never thought to make the neckline smaller.
The Molly Top has a band, but it would be just too thick to add it. I think this is going to my go to pattern for anything long sleeved, I just need to remember to adjust the neckline in future.
I thought about adding some inserts but it just spoilt the look I thought. So I left it just as it was and I’ll wear a scarf if needs be.
Before I made the final decision of how to finish the raw edges there was quite a lot of trial and error with different effects.
You can just about see the stitching around the neckline.
I finished off all the raw edges with a wide cover stitch about 5mm fro the edge of the fabric, with the cover stitch on the right side.
Below is the cuff….
I sewed the seams up with the single chain stitch. Then just added another needle and stitched the seam flat and open with the cover stitch being on the right side.
On the inside I trimmed away the seam allowance with my duck billed scissors that I bought at the knitting and stitching show. Seriously, I don’t think I could ever manage without them! No more accidental holes cut into my clothes!
So there you go, my first make of 2017. A super duper cosy jumper, and given the weather we’re having at the minute this will be worn loads!!
I now need to make a day dress before the week is out as I’m hoping to join in the day and night dress challenge. I made my night dress at the end of December, I’m wondering if I’ll have time to make my first Anna……fingers crossed!