I’d say the majority of the fabric in my stash is in 1-1.5m lengths. As I’m very lucky and surrounded by lots of real life fabric stores I tend to pick up quite a few bargain remnants when I’m out and about. These keep my stash topped up and I can usually make a top or skirt from these shorter lengths. If they’re less than a metre I often have to have a mash up of 2 remnants and let the creative juices flow.
Like this cardigan….. boiled wool and a ponte knit….who’d have thought these would have gone together so well:
And these 2 pieces of jersey fudged together for a Molly Top:
So as you can see I usually have a happy ending when it marry up patterns and fabric.
But the Molly Top from SOI has had me almost loosing sleep. The grown on sleeves just make it that little big too fabric hungry for some of my remnants that are just shouting out to be a Molly. Like this wide striped ribbed knit I picked up in Samuel Taylors, Leeds. I didn’t buy it as a remnant, but when I pulled out the roll it only had 1.25cm on it, but it was in the bargain section at £2.50 (I think) a metre.
But as much as I tried there was just no way I could fit the pieces onto the fabric. Then I had had an idea.
How about chopping off the sticky out fabric hungry sleeve and adding that to the actual sleeve.
So I had a play around and this is how I worked it out. The fabric was 42 inches wide (sorry for swapping between metric and old money, I just can’t help it). So I knew the max width of the top could be 21 inches – that’s why below I’ve marked the new width of the top as 10 1/2 inches. And I knew the pieces would fit exactly.
I also wanted the reduce the size of the neckline so compared the opening with the renfrew and 2 other slopers that I’d made.
As you can see the Molly is much wider. It is supposed to have a band but like my cosy sweater I made I wasn’t intending to add the band to this. I changed the neckline width to that of the Renfrew.
So my new pattern pieces fit perfectly. As you can see I cut the length for the top piece and had just enough for the full length sleeve. There was no allowance for matching up the stripes of the sleeves to the body but as you’ll see later it turned out really well.
In case you’re interested the length of the fabric for the top is 27″ and the sleeves 22″.
It was a doddle to sew up – I hemmed the sleeves and the bottom hem in the flat, and when I sewed up the side seams just neatened up the overlocker threads.. This is so much easier, or at least it is for me! I use steam a seam to hold the hems in place as I sew.
For the neckline there was quite a bit of head scratching. But first, as soon as I cut out the pieces I stay stitched the front and back neckline.
In the end to finish it off I decided to add interfacing to the inside….
trimmed most of it away,
And a bit more! (the brown stitching is the stay stitching and the white was when I stitched the interfacing)
turned and pinned (yes pinned!!! a rarity for me)
and stitched with a 2 needle coverstitch.
Then trimmed away back to the stitching with my duck billed scissors.
Because of the staying stitching and the interfacing there’s no give in the neckline so no fear of it stretching out.
If you’re thinking of doing something similar make sure it’ll fit over your head!
Here’s the oringal length of sleeves. After a few wears and washes I shortened the sleeve to the top of the first blue stripe as it looked a bit big and as if I’d borrowed my dads jumper!
This is one of my most worn tops. It’s almost maintained the style of the original Molly Top with the dropped shoulders, but with a lot less fabric. It has turned out a lot bigger than my other 3 Molly’s, more slouchy, or maybe that’s because I’m shrinking! I wear it mostly with my jeans but in the summer I thinks it’ll be great as a sweater to throw on over capris and a t shirt.