Active Wear, Dresses, Front Page, Golf, Indie Pattern, Sewing Challenges, Summer wear
Comments 4

The Mary Quant Style Dress

Wonky pockets! No one noticed them when I posted a Reel on my insta. I think they were distracted by my groovy moves! If you’re not an insta fan and not sure what a Reel is I’ve attached a link to the bottom of this post.

This dress incorporates a couple of challenges:

The #frugalfrock21 organised by Sam at Frugalisma, and Ruan at the Yorkshire Sew Girl

and

#so50patternmixing organised by @sewover50

The idea behind frugal frocks is to make a dress using a free pattern and to use fabric from your stash to create Frugal Frock! As soon as I saw Alice & Co pattern for the Mary Quant style dress I was sold! HERE’s the link if you fancy downloading this free pattern.

The dress is designed for a woven fabric, but my initial thought was to use this pattern to make a dress for golf, so I sized down and made it up in lycra. Most patterns given finished garment measurements which is really useful if you are changing from a woven to a stretch or vice versa. For this dress I chose the size which gave the exact same finished bust measurement as my actual bust measurement.

There was a few changes I made due to it being in a stretch fabric. The main one was to the pockets. The instructions call for a facing on the pockets and then to turn in the lower part of the pocket, press and then stitch onto the dress. Although this lycra from Funki Fabrics is quite good at holding a crease when pressed I decided the pockets would be easier to attach if I added a piece of woven fabric to the facings:

And then stitched them right sides together:

Then graded the seam allowances, and lots of pressing. Here’s the Reel from insta showing how I did it:

I also used the same woven fabric for the wrong side of the collar to give some stability, but I didn’t use any interfacing:

I used the main lycra fabric for the inside facing. There are 2 ways to finish to finish the inside depending if you are making the dress with our without sleeves. I opted to use the facing for the sleeved version even though I was making the sleeveless dress. I didn’t cut out the key hole front until after I stitched it in place. As you can see below I drew on the stitching line using a frixion pen:

When I turned the facing to the inside I under stitched I, but when I wore it the first time the facing didn’t stay hidden so I ended up top stitching it in place, which fixed the problem. You can see here it was peaking out and I never realised!

Here it after top stitching. Excuse the cleavage! I’ve found that when I wear this dress I need to wear an old bra that doesn’t give the same ‘oomph or lift’ as my newer ones!

All in all I’m really pleased with this dress. Originally made with golf in mind with it being made in crazy fabric, but I actually wore it for lunch in my friend’s garden with a pair of wedges and I think I’m more likely to wear it off the course than on.

A close up of the button detail. Button found in stash, from my MIL’s collection. A perfect match don’t you think?!

Just a few more pix of Mary Quant style dress, including me hiding in the daffodils!

And here’s the Reel I mentioned earlier – getting all groovy in my friend’s garden. And this was without alcohol!!

Thanks for stopping by! Hope you have had a little inspiration to maybe try a different fabric from what’s suggested.

Remember, don’t be scared to try something new, it’s only sewing!

Cheerio for now,

Ali x

4 Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s