All posts tagged: wip

Brooklyn Preparation and a BIG ‘Thankyou’

Remember my photo challenge ‘stitch‘ last week? I happened to mention how I’ve struggled to master the twin needle, to the point that I was planning smuggling a coverstitch machine into the house.  You guys gave me so much advice! Tonight I’ve been experimenting with stitch selection for my next project – The Brooklyn Hoodie from SBCC. I was looking for a stitch to flatten down the seams and give more of a rtw  feel to it. I preferred the left had stitch. Here’s the wrong side – I’d trimmed back the SA back as far as possible. Just as I was pressing a few buttons, I saw IT!!!! You could’ve knocked me down with a feather!!! Where did that come from???? Had it just appeared, or had it been hidden amongst this little lot all the time?? Well that was it. I pressed the button, found a twin needle and another spool and in no time at all I produced this little lot!! How pretty!! And neat!! And easy!! Everything ran smoothly, I just …

When One Thing Leads To Another – The Colette Wren Part 1

My big sister (older by 10 days short of a year) celebrated her birthday at the end of October.  Two years ago I made her a leather bag and last year I made her a Coco.  This year she said she would like another Coco and chose this sparkly ponte knit from Minerva: It does change colour a little bit depending on the light but this gives a fair idea of the fabric.  It took a bit of tweaking before I was happy with this photo. So onwards and upwards.  I completed her Coco in about 1 1/2 hours (I’ve made a few so can almost do them with my eyes shut, they seem to be our family uniform!). It was just as well that I got a photo of her new Coco on Gertrude as these were the best of the photo shoot in the pub: Anyway, she loved it! I loved it! I wanted to keep it!  But instead I ordered another 5 metres of this gorgeous fabric just for me!  I was thinking …

Holly Jumpsuit BHL Muslin No. 2 #Jumpingintojune

Not much tweaking was really needed after Muslin No.1.  I’ve added a ruler width to the body length, which turned out to be 1 1/4 “.  I just guessed and as it happens, it’s turned out ok.  I’ve chopped the excess length off the legs, cut them to 30” for now so I can try them on with flat and heals. I’m feeling happy after my second muslin.  The thing I’m going to change tho is the width of the top which causing slight boob gapage. If I was a bit younger it wouldn’t bother me, but I’m not and it will so I don’t think it will be a big job to reshape it.  I’ll add extra fabric when I cut out the top piece and shape it on my when it’s nearly at the finishing stage – I think!! Now the big question is what fabric am I going to choose. How’s your “Jumping Into June” project? Have you chosen your pattern yet? Or are you wondering what I’m talking about? If it’s …

The Osaka from Seamwork Magazine

Yesterday I created a wish list, and right at the top of it, is the Osaka wrap skirt from the new Seamwork magazine!  So today I gathered some suitable fabric from my stash and got started.  I’m not making a muslin as the shape is really simple so i’m going to fit as I sew – I’ve left out the darts for now, but will add them before I sew the 2 pieces together. Now, this is going to be a quick post with lost of photos and not a lot of writing. I’m too upset to think of much to say tonight….you’ll see why soon. The first fabric I chose was this gorgeous black and white poly/viscose blend coating.  It’s already been a skirt but I’ve only worn it once as it didn’t fit too well, so I can use that plus about 0.7 m which was left. FOr the reverse I had 2 small pieces of 100% wool. one 30cm and one 40cm. This was going to be a tight squeeze! And it was. But …