Introducing my new favourite pattern…….
The Yasmin Yoke Skirt
I’ve made 3 in the last week. It’s rare I ever make 2 of anything never mind 3. The last time I made more than one of anything was when I made my Bridesmaid’s dresses almost 14 years ago!
I stumbled across Maria’s patterns when browsing the different Indie patterns I’d never heard of after reading various blogs promoting Indie Pattern month. The Yolk is designed to disguise “tummy fluff” (as she describes it). I’m all for that! Since I stopped smoking just over 12 weeks ago (pat on the back…) I’ve put on about 7 lbs. This feels to have been distributed very unevenly – bust 1 lb, waist 5 1/2 lbs, hips 1/2 lb. It’s driving me mad – the extra pounds more than the no smoking. Most of my clothes are too tight and as I’ve joined Goodbye Valentino‘s 2014 RTW Fast I can’t nip out to buy anything new and stretchy to tide me over til I loose these new found inches. And, I’m really reluctant to sew as I don’t want to spend hours making something that won’t fit me if and when I loose the extra wieight.
Enough of waffling on…back to Yasmin!
The pattern is a PDF to download. Of all the other patterns I’ve downloaded this was the easiest I’ve put together. Once stuck together I traced off my size then added 15mm seam allowances. I’ve never used a pattern before without seam allowances. When I cut out my fabric I used carbon paper to transfer the pattern markings onto the fabric. This seemed to take forever – I transferred the sewing lines and also the outer edges.
Here’s my first Yasmin. Unfortunately I haven’t (yet) any pix of me wearing it but I wore it lots last weekend.
Yasmin number 2 was made using a linen blend navy blue fabric. I bought a metre for £4.99 on my way home from work last Wednesday. I had a golf team match on Thursday and needed navy shorts/skirt and my usual ones were obscenely tight and my backside. Luckily it was a red hot evening so the fabric had a quick wash then on the line and I was ready to start sewing by 7pm. By 10pm Yasmin number 2 was ready for action on the golf course. She’s in the wash, pix to follow, but there fabric I used can be seen in the pockets of Yasmin number 3.
Today I dug out a small piece of fairly stiff denim from my stash. It was only 24″ long, and 60″ wide. There was only enough to cut out the front, back and 1 set of facings.
Hope you’re all enjoying Indie pattern month.
I’ve been so inspired I find myself spending more time reading sewing blogs than at my sewing machine!