All posts tagged: hack

Hacking McCalls 6612 – 3 very different Tops

Following on from the success of my Little Red Dress I decided to use the sleeves I’d cut out but not used,  and some double knit jersey from my scrap bin, to whip up a t shirt. I raised the neckline by an inch and shortened the dress pattern to hip length. I feel a bit like a 5 year old but I’ve worn this loads and it’s been in regular rotation worn with old denim shorts during the last month of what we call ‘summer’. I was thinking of making another when Bea mentioned on her IG feed that she had this gorgeous jersey going spare, I couldn’t believe my luck when I was able to snap it up.  She sent it with a lovely note and some other sewing goodies! As I’m a serial tracer and muslin maker it’s a real treat to be able to whip up a new garment in an hour or 2.  I’ve not really had any TNT patterns in the past but I think I definitely need more …

On The Ball! Simplicity 1613

Being on the ball is not usually my fort√© but since my trip to the recent SewUpNorth meet up I’ve actually used 2 pieces of fabric I acquired at the swap and used a pattern that came free with the current issue of the Dressmaker magazine. I’m not a regular of the Dressmaker magazine as I subscribe to Love Sewing and Sew Direct.  I think the hubby would raise an eyebrow at more sewing publications dropping on the mat, but I still have a peek at the others when I’m out shopping. This pattern caught my eye immediately and I was drawn into buying the mag’ and I knew just which fabric would be a perfect match. This John Kaldor ITY knit which was kindly donated to the swap from RuthRuth at Ruth Creates. The pattern was a super simple make, I whizzed it up in a couple of hours (after cutting out) despite having to unpick the off the shoulder part – I’m not sure what it’s name is.  The shoulder band maybe? I’m …

The Cold Shoulder – Lekala 5669

I was browsing through the Lekala website a couple of weeks ago and stumbled across this little on-trend beauty!  Lekala 5669….. I just fell for it straight away – the cold shoulder detail was bang on trend but subtle enough for a someone approaching middle age to wear – not that I feel it. So it was downloaded and stuck it together before you could say boo to a goose.  Then came the hard bit. I have quite a few jersey’s in my stash.  32 to be exact if I check my Cora App!!!  And true to form I fancied making a muslin of this pattern.  Mainly because it looks a bit confusing how it’s put together, not because of the fit – when I’m sewing with jersey and using Lekala I generally find the fit to be spot on. So I had a rummage through the app on my phone and decided upon this very stretchy see through mesh fabric. I had bought 5 panels, each being 1.2m, for less than ¬£6 inc P&P …

The BIG Vintage Sewalong – Vogue 9082 & Sonja Dress Hack

What do you do when you’re too excited to sit still and watch TV, not that I’m good at sitting still anyway?!  Well, for me I’m going to drink Rose wine and tell you about a frock I finished a couple or 3 weeks ago. Why am I excited?!  It’s Sewbrum tomorrow! EEEK!!  I’ve wanted to go to Sewbrum for the last 2 years but the dates just didn’t agree with me.  But this year it’s fallen on my weekend off so I’ve bought my train ticket, and I’m good to go! My first Vogue 9082 which I’ve worn 3 times already and had loads of compliments when wearing was only supposed to be a practice for my niece’s wedding.  It was no way a muslin,  I’d already made 3 of them so I knew it was going to fit when I finally cut into the stunning chosen fabric. It was to wear to Ripon races back in June. So the plan was to make another in different fabric. I bought this stretch cotton sateen when I …

Belize Skort Hack

I’ve had loads of compliments this week wearing my different variations of Itch-To-Stitches Belize Shorts and Skorts – both on and off the golf course.  My favourite feature of all the 5 variations is the curved back skirt on the skort version. I thought I’d have a go at making a version with a curved hem at the front as well as the back.  It was really successful so I thought I’d share it with you. First of all I measured the width of the back curved skirt and compared it to the front short pieces – the ones without the pleats.  I couldn’t use the pointy skort pieces as these overlap so I would have be hard to work out the width. Taking the seam allowances into consideration the skort back piece was near enough the same width as the shorts front so I felt able to just use the back piece for the skort front. I compared the shape of waist/hip curve of short piece to my new skort front (i.e. the skort back!). I’ve drawn an …