Itch To Stitch has just released their latest pattern – the Belize skort and shorts. She was asking for pattern testers not so long ago and I would have loved to help up but unfortunately the timescale didn’t match up with any free time I had.
I’ve never made a skort before, but have bought quite a few pairs over the years for golf, and they’re usually quite expensive. In the last couple of years I’ve cheated and I’ve made skirts for golf and worn gym shorts underneath.
This week I’ve been on annual leave and has loooooads of free time. So armed with my new pattern (which I managed to work out how to use layers and just print my size) I set about making the Belize Skort. This was Monday, and I wanted to wear them on Tuesday for golf!
There are 5 views for the skort and shorts:
View A: Pleated-front shorts with front pockets
View B: Flat-front shorts with front pockets
View C: Flat-front shorts with no pocket
View D: Skort with front pockets and shorts back
View E: Skort with front pockets and skirt back
Before cutting into my new fabric from my most recent shopping expedition I decided I’d make up view B in some reddy/pinky cotton chambray to make sure the fit was going to be right.
Kennis suggests going with your hip measurement only as the waist can be adjusted when adding the elastic.
My pattern piece only just fit on my narrow fabric. According to the instructions 45″ wide fabric isn’t suitable for sizes over a 12. You can see why in the photo above – my back piece only just fit and these were an 8 – though my fabric is slightly less than 45″.
If you really wanted to make them in a narrow width fabric you could, although it wouldn’t be economical, but what does that usually matter if you’re hell bent on using a certain fabric!
I measure a 40″ hip so cut a straight size 8 all over. Despite being 3 3/4 inches on the waist bigger than the size 8 they fit perfect!
I’ve worn these short nearly every day since making them, I’ve even got them on now!
They are just so comfy as they have an elasticated back. The front is quite flattering with it being flat. As I have a small hip to waist ratio (I’ve only just recently discovered there was just a thing) the gathering on the waist at the back is quick minimal.
As soon as I finished the short and was happy with the fit I ploughed ahead and cut the fabric out for the skort. I made the skirt part in the black and white fabric from Ditto, and used some left over fabric from last years Valentine’s Dress for the under shorts.
Yay! I got them finished! It meant staying up sewing until around 10pm and up at 7 amthe next morning, but with enough time to wash my hair they were ready to wear and I was feeling lucky!
The sun was shining when I left home, but after a 3 mile journey to the golf club the sky was covered with thick clouds. The jacket came on but I wasn’t going to be covering my legs up any time soon!
Pointy front view, above and wonky stance below – the skirt hem is curved but even, honest!
I braved the cold for a photo without my jacket. We had time for a quick photo shoot on the 5th tee as the ladies in front weren’t on the green yet – you can see them (just) in the background below.
Side view below – you can just about make out the contrasting fabric I used on the shorts and on the pockets.
Another wait on the 10th tee meant more photos.
the back is quite smooth and you’d hardly notice it is an elasticated skirt.
Cheeky! A quick flash at my innards!
Ooops! And a quick flash at the front too! I really wish now that I’d not used this for the inside but made them into a pair of shorts on their own. I might have to chop of my dress – it’s a bit big now anyway!
After the success of making the shorts and the skort there was no stopping me.
I knew just what was next on my sewing list – Belize bottom PJs!
I made view C – flat fronted and no pockets. After all I was going to used my most coveted fabric – the Liberty I purchased half price but had not dared to even pre wash never mind cut into.
This fabric is one of my all time favourites but I’d put off making anything with it I was worried it might end up not being worn very much. But lounge wear I wear all the time so these would definitely be worn loads. I don’t have a proper PJ pattern so for the top had a look through my prima pattern for something simple that didn’t require much fabric and found this top:
In no time at all I had PJs. Maybe 3 hours tops, including cutting out!
I even did some (not all) french seams and made my own bias binding. They’re so silky soft that I don’t want to take them off! And in case you’re wondering – you don’t need to pre wash Liberty. I didn’t and they still fit me after being washed twice.
So that’s little bit of what I’ve sewn up this week, wonder what else I had time to make!
(slight disclaimer – it’s been a long day, and I’ve had a glass of wine. I’m publishing this before I’ve read it through properly and apologise for any typos which there will inevitably be. night-night xx)